Ayurveda or the ‘science of long living life’ emphasized that the way you eat your food is even more important than what you eat. The foods that are considered to be unhealthy or may cause imbalance will be digested reasonably well if the proper rules are followed. The same way if correct foods are taken in the wrong way, your digestion will be compromised and formulation of ama or toxins will take place which can be a detriment to overall health and well being. Poor digestion is the root cause of all diseases.
10 Golden Rules of Ayurveda for Healthy Living
10 golden rules passed down from generations and suggested by Ayurvedic doctors for healthy living are described as Aharavidhi Vidhan and are listed below:
- According to Ayurveda, a person’s routine should be like: one need to wake up at least 2 hours before sunrise as it is the time when Vata elements are dominant.
- One needs to brush the teeth and massage the gums at that time.
- This should be followed by a glass of warm water to help with elimination and release toxins from the body. One must take a bath with warm water and wash eyes with plenty of water.
- Cleaning of the tongue is necessary to purify the mouth and sense of taste. Ayurveda suggests 6 am to 10 am as breakfast time, 10 Am to 2 PM as lunch time (Pitta time) and 7pm to 8 pm as Dinner time (Kapha time is between 10 pm to 2 am).
- It is very important for everyone to find out the constitution or doshas of the body.
- The three doshas: Vatta, Pitta and Kapha play a significant role according to Ayurveda.
- Food is a healing if selected according to the doshas.
- For some a high protein diet is beneficial while others can do better with carbohydrates.
Food Should Always Be Warm, Oily and Must be Taken in Proper Quantity.
- Food that is warmly stimulates the Agni or digestive fire and helps to promote optimal digestive function.
- Cold food impairs the digestive function and too hot food can aggravate pitta dosha in the body. Oil in the food assists to emulsify food for better digestion.
- Proper quantity of food promotes longevity without any negative impact on Vata, Pitta and Kapha.
- Food should always be prepared with love .Largest meals should be taken at noon than in the morning or evening.
Correct Eating Habits:
- It is important to have a set time for meals. Chew he food until it is an even consistency before swallowing. Do not eat food too slowly or too fast or in a hurry.
- You cannot digest food properly if you are walking, driving, reading, watching TV, etc.
- It is important to sit down and eat food, take a few breaths, express gratitude to the food in front of you.
- Eating should be like a sacred ritual.
- Always take time to relax after eating.
- Allow three hours between meals to allow food to digest. Avoid eating 2 to 3 hours before bedtime.
- A post meal, walk after dinner is beneficial to assist the natural movement of digestion within the body.
- It is suggested by Ayurveda to leave some space in the stomach while eating, this helps to digest the food better.
- If one eats, till he is completely full, will make him sleepy after eating. Eat only when you are hungry.
Get Water Wise
- Never drink cold water or cold drinks prior to eating as that weakens the digestion.
- It is not advisable to drink large quantities of liquid during meals.
- Water at room temperature is best to be taken with meals (only sips).
- One should never take milk with meals.
- Taking ginger tea, hot water or herbal tea while eating is good for digestion.
- Ginger grated and boiled in water, is very good for digestion and cleanses the deeper tissues of the body.
Choose Wholesome Foods that are fresh and Colorful.
- Choose mainly seasonal, local and organic produce. Fresh fruits, vegetables and grains are easy to digest and best fuel for the body.
- Processed foods, junk foods, canned foods are heavy to digest and provide little nourishment to the body.
- Adapting a vegetarian diet is crucial for healthy living.
- Easily digestible proteins like broccoli, spinach gives much needed rest to the overworked digestive system for staying healthy.
- It is very important to not eat incompatible foods together as they will upset the stomach.
Add a Little Ghee to Each Meal:
- Ghee or clarified butter has been recommended by Ayurveda doctors for thousands of years.
- It stimulates the digestive fire and increases both the absorption and assimilation of nutrients.
- Ghee is known for its anti aging properties and is used as a rejuvenating in Ayurveda.
- Ghee deeply nourishes the body on a cellular level and provides the much needed energy, boosts immunity, enhances memory and intellect.
- Ghee lubricates the tissues and pull us all deep rooted toxins from the body.
Avoiding Stress or Emotional Imbalance is the Key to Healthy Living.
- Yoga and meditation are recommended to be incorporated on a daily basis for a happy, healthy life.
- Twisting postures and forward folds are best done prior to the food intake to ignite the Agni and get the digestive juices flowing.
- Reclined postures are recommended after food intake to allow space for all the vital organs to work freely and reduce any tension in the GI tract.
- Exercise should be done in the open air.
- The exercise includes walking, swimming, sun salutes and even breathing exercises which are good for body and soul.
- Early morning exercise strengthens the body and mind by keeping it calm, it also reduces belly fat and gives an overall feeling of lightness and strengthens the digestive fire.
Avoid Smoking and Drinking in Moderation.
- Ayurveda always recommends to quit smoking right away.
- Alcohol is permissible only in the limits.
- A glass of wine once a week does more good than harm.
- One needs to take correct foods and follow correct food habits to maximize the digestion.
- Those with a Vata nature should eat four to five meals per day.
DR. Vikram Chauhan, MD – AYURVEDA is an expert Ayurvedic practitioner based in Chandigarh, India and doing his practice in Mohali, India. He is spreading the knowledge of Ayurveda Ancient healing treatment, not only in India but also abroad. He is the CEO and Founder of Planet Ayurveda Products, Planet Ayurveda Clinic and Krishna Herbal Company. For more info visit our website: