Which is the heaviest and largest gland in the human body? You would be surprised to know that the largest and heaviest gland in our bodies is the liver. It is a meaty large organ which needs proper care. You may have heard about how liver damage could pose a threat to your precious life. It is one of the essential organs of the human body. What is the function of the liver? What causes liver pain? Where is it located? This post will answer all that and more. Here is a post for you to understand the function, location and problems related to the liver.
The Location of Liver in the Human Body
The largest internal organ in the body is called liver. You can compare it with a football as the size is much the same. Your precious liver is located at the upper right side of the abdomen. It is just above your stomach and beneath the diaphragm. The meaty organ is located on the right side of the body. Since it is a fragile organ, it is located at the right side of the ribcage.
The liver has various functions. It is the most important part of your body. It contains a large amount of blood and a tear to the liver can cause serious problems. Do you wish to know about the functions of the liver? Read on to find out!
- Releases and stores glucose
- It clears the blood. The liver plays an important role in clearing your blood and removing the harmful toxins.
- In case you have bilirubin, the liver clears it. Symptoms of Milburn include eyes turning yellow.
- The liver regulates blood clotting.
- It converts the harmful ammonia into urea.
- The liver produces immune factors and it also removes bacteria from your blood.
- It manufactures triglycerides and cholesterol.
- The liver stores vitamins such as folic acid, Vitamin B12, Vitamin K, D, and iron.
What causes liver pain?
Do you have pain in your liver? It is not normal because it signifies that you may have a disease. In case you have liver pain, you need to get it evaluated before your health deteriorates. When your liver is damaged or has a disease, it may pain. However, you do not need to panic because it may also be a side effect of a new medication. It could also be an autoimmune disease.
Here are some of the causes of liver pain –
Viral Infections such as the Hepatitis infections can cause liver pain. These include the Hepatitis A, B, and C.
- Hepatitis A – This is a mild form and it is acquired through hand/food/feces/mouth contact. The liver pain is caused by this and it lasts for few weeks or months.
- Hepatitis B – This disease is passed through sexual contact, body fluids and sharing of used items. Hepatitis B may last until the end of a person’s life. This form of Hepatitis causes liver pain and damage.
- Hepatitis C – Unprotected anal intercourse, tattoos, sharing of infected needles and blood transfusion are the causes of Hepatitis C. This is one of the most dangerous forms which could be the cause of liver cancer as well.
You may have heard that alcoholism can damage the liver. It is true because the permanent use of alcohol can dehydrate your body and can cause liver damage as well. Heavy drinkers must control their drinking habit for the sake of the good health of their liver.
Alcohol is not good for your liver. Heavy drinkers may experience liver pain after drinking too much. Drink occasionally and save your liver.
- Some medications may not suit you. It is toxic to your body. It is best to avoid medications that do not suit your body as it may cause liver pain. Consult with a doctor before you start any new medication.
- Do you know about Cirrhosis? It is the scarring of the liver tissue. When some parts of the liver are scarred, they stop functioning. This is a serious threat to your overall health. People, who have Hepatitis B or C, may get Cirrhosis. This is a very painful disease and you must check with a doctor.
- Liver cancer is painful and it must be treated immediately. It could be fatal!
- If there is any sudden trauma to your abdomen, it may cause liver pain. Open wounds, gunshots or even a forceful action can cause liver pain.
- Fluid pockets could be the cause of the pain. When you have liver disease, it may create a fluid pocket which is basically in the abdomen. The area near the liver swells up and it causes a lot of pain due to fluid deposit. Doctors may drain the fluid near the liver. It is called paracentesis.
Symptoms of Liver Pain
There are several symptoms of liver pain. Along with the pain, you would notice other symptoms such as –
- Weight loss
- Yellow eyes and skin
- Chronic itching
- Extreme weakness
- Enlarged liver (hard mass)
- Darker urine (amber)
Words from the Wise
Your health is precious and you must take precautions. Skip alcohol or drink occasionally. You must also get regular health checkups to keep track of your health record. If you experience any of the symptoms mentioned above, you must get it evaluated. Liver damage and disease must be treated in the initial stage. Do not wait as it may be too late already! Speak to your doctor and tell them about all the symptoms that you are experiencing. Your doctor would be able to examine you and find the best medical solution for it. Liver pain should not be taken casually because it is the most vital organ in the human body. Take special care of your health, especially your liver.