Healthy meals for kids roll up in any packages and mealtime with no exception. These healthy breakfast ideas are ideal to feed your kids or grabbing them with tiny fingers while you are sending them out for school. Your kids will get satisfied in these bite-sized serving of food. Each meal is low in calories, giving a variety of healthy ingredients, and very yummy even the parents will love them.
With healthy meals for kids, you can hit upon suggestions for the parents to help make easier preparation, by involving the children in the kitchen, or include one of a kind adult-friendly twist to the recipe. Most of all, you can be delighted serving these healthy breakfast recipes for your kids.
Healthy Meals for Kids: Fun & Facts of Breakfast
Healthy meal for kids at breakfast time is such an important meal as like any other meals. While sleeping during the night without food, you will be short of energy stores, and your body and brain requires fuel for daily activitiy. However, it is sometimes difficult to keep it in your mind while you are full of activity preparing your kids for their day.
Now then, just picture yourself as if you are a car. After a long night of sleeping, your fuel tank will be empty. Breakfast is the fuel that energizes you in order that you can move to the road.
Any light foods for breakfasts is much better than no breakfast at all, but try not to go for the same kinds of meals repeatedly, mainly for those high in calories, sugar, and fat sources. These sorts of foods normally have no content of nutrients the kids really need. Moreover, if you have a doughnut or bagel for breakfast, you will not feel stuffed for long due to its sugar and carbs content.
The following are some best grounds for having healthy meals for kids for breakfast, and determine some slight modifications that can help make your family’s breakfast healthier.
Breakfast makes you slimmer
Research indicates that adults and kids who have breakfast habitually tend to be slimmer than those who skip it, almost certainly because breakfast set metabolic system in motion for the day. Indeed, even minimal exertion of whipping up breakfast set your body and mind in burning energy, and starting the day with healthy foods, trims down inducement to make unhealthy snack options.
Breakfast makes you happier
According to scientists, having breakfast will boost up sense of health, especially if you pick something high-carbs food like a dish of cereal. In this manner, if you or the kids are liable to be touchy in the mornings, good healthy meals for kids could be the best solution.
Breakfast makes your kids excel at school
Kids who have breakfast focus better in lessons, perform better in studies, more likely to recall what they have studied, and have better preferable critical thinking than those who skip it.
Just in case you require more confirmation that having breakfast is the best way, kids who skip breakfast are less capable to study at school, get less vital nutrient in their diets, and will probably have a higher body mass index (BMI), which is a sign they might be going all the way to obesity.
Then again, kids who have breakfast will probably take part in physical activities, and be inclined to eat healthier completely. Anyway, never let your kids rush out the door with empty stomach for the next morning. Fuel them up with healthy breakfast!
Healthy Meals for Kids: Top Breakfast Ingredients
Healthy meals for kids contain a mix of complex nutrients, carbs, fibers, healthy fat, and protein to energize your kids until lunchtime. You can decide on combining whole grains like whole-wheat toast, oats, or whole-grain cereal with protein source such as eggs, yogurt, milk, nuts butter, or cheese. Include side of fruit for a boost of vitamins and minerals, and your kids will get ready for the day.
Much the same as with other meals, try to whip up a various kind of healthy meals for kids, including:
- Fruits (any fruits, especially seasonal ones)
- Veggies (both starchy or non-starch is all right)
- Grains (at least half of your whole grains)
- Protein (meat, poultry, fish, eggs, dry beans, nuts, and seeds)
- Dairy products (low-fat or fat-free milk, cheese, and yogurt)
A few kids are compelled to skip breakfast since they sleep overdue or, as they believe it is a best way to stay slim. Nonetheless, skipping breakfast does not help people to keep up a desired weight. Indeed, someone who skips breakfast tends to eat more calories during the day.
Healthy Meals for Kids: Discovering Breakfast Ideas
If you end up skipping breakfast since you are incredibly hurried, try these express healthy meals for kids. You will be easy to snatch them on the way out of the door or else you can prepare them the previous night:
- Single servings of whole-grain bread with any healthy spread
- Low-sugar cereal with milk
- Fat-free, low-sugar yogurt
- Fresh fruits
- Whole-grain muffin
- Fruit or nuts-based loaf
- Mixed nuts, dried fruits, pretzels, crackers, and dry cereal
Below are some basic healthy meals for kids:
- Eggs (baked, boiled, poached, fried, anything you love)
- French toast, waffles, or pancakes (wheat or whole-grain varieties)
- Cold cereal and milk
- Hot cereal, such as oatmeal or cream of wheat (try some dried fruit or nuts on top)
- Whole-grain toast, bagel, or English muffin with cheese or any healthy spread
- Low-fat and sugar-free yogurt with fruit or nuts
- Fruit smoothie (one type or mixed fruits)
Now then, the following are some of weird (but yummy) healthy meals for kids:
- Banana bun (a long whole-grain bun with filling of banana and raisins, and spread of nuts butter)
- Sandwich with mixed fruits like strawberries or other fresh fruits and spread of cream cheese
- Breakfast taco (tortilla with filling of veggies and shredded cheese, half-folded and microwaved, topping with salsa or other favourite sauce)
- Cereal topped with skim milk and fresh fruit slices
- Muesli(for children over five without allergy of nuts), fresh fruit, skim milk
- Sandwich with grilled cheese, peanut butter and jelly
- A boiled egg, slice of wholemeal bread, and a piece of fruit
- A slice of whole grain toast plus yogurt or fruit smoothie
- Apancake topped with yogurt and sliced blueberries or banana
- Granola made from yogurt topped with fresh and dried fruit, and sprinkle of oats or muesli
- Porridge with a little sugar and milk, fresh fruit
- Apple cottage cheese (apple butter mixed with cottage cheese)
- Leftovers (what you had for the previous dinner)
Healthy Meals for Kids: Weekly Breakfast Meal Plans
It is no top secret that I am one of BIG breakfast fans. It is certainly my much-loved meal of the day. In any case, the issue is deciding on what kind of healthy meals for kids to prepare on a daily basis. I think it is a great effort that many of us have. Lastly, I will include a sample of Weekly Breakfast Plan to resolve an issue you may or may not have realized that you have: what is for breakfast today? With this practical breakfast timetable, you will not even have to consider about what to organize. The best part about it is every day will be surprising.
Most people usually have spare time on the weekends and fewer times during the weekday. Therefore, these are superfast recipes to prepare ahead of time for hectic weekdays and more time-consuming recipes for weekend when you mostly love to use up more times with family. If you have been running madly during the weekdays, you must make an effort to prepare these quick & easy healthy meals for kids!
- MONDAY — Hot cereals or oatmeal day
An excellent way to get started your week, these are stuffing and fueling, brimming with nourishing power-packed ingredients.
- TUESDAY — Granola day
It will save your time to prepare granola the previous night so that it will be fast ready in the morning. Pour over top of your much-loved almond milk or coconut milk for a yummy cold cereal.
- WEDNESDAY — Parfaits day
If the recipe requires granola, then you already have had that step out of the way from the earlier days’ breakfast. The great thing about parfaits is that they are so quick to prepare in split second. In a mid-week, they are just perfect breakfast!
- THURSDAY — Smoothies day
Everyone certainly cherish a good smoothie and with just a bunch of ingredients and a few minutes, you can have a healthy active energy boost.
- FRIDAY — Eggs day
Just beware, is there only one way to savor poached eggs in the morning? Think again! You can opt for grains, veggies and more to boost up the already good way to start your day!
- SATURDAY — waffles or pancakes day
There is nothing better than taking a seat with family on Saturday morning around breakfast table enjoying quality time together. Waffles or flapjacks (pancakes) are the best meal you will love very much when you have little extra time to enjoy it together.
- SUNDAY — Breads or muffins day
Like Saturday, nearly all people have more spare times on Sunday mornings and luscious hot muffin or a slice of fresh bread is an ideal way to get going this lively day.
Healthy Meals for Kids: Finest Breakfast Recipes
Cheesy Chicken Sausage Bagel Pizza
Bagel halves are a superfast, kids-friendly substitute for standard pizza crust. These healthy meals for kids are worth a try for breakfast time.
2 plain bagels, halved
½ cup low-salt marinara sauce
1 cup chicken sausage, thinly sliced
1 cup preshredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat broiler.
- Lay out bagel halves with their cut sides up on a greased baking sheet. Broil around 3 mins or until golden brown.
- Apply marinara sauce on each bagel half. Top off each half with slices of chicken sausage, and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Broil bagel halves for 2 mins or until cheese melts.
Egg and Sausage Sandwich Muffin
The secret ingredient of thick and juicy tomato adds to this healthy meal for kids some nutrients in a whole-wheat bagel, egg, and cheddar cheese.
2 whole-wheat English muffin, split and toasted
2 small size chicken sausage, halved in length and toasted
2 large eggs
2 thick slices tomato
1 tsp olive oil
2 thin slice of cheddar cheese
Kosher salt and ground pepper to taste
- Top each English muffin half with tomato; put it aside. In a small nonstick skillet, heat up olive oil over medium-low heat. Crack eggs into skillet; cook until whites almost set for 2 to 3 mins.
- Pile up each egg with a slice of cheddar cheese; cover skillet for 1 minute. Fill in one egg into each muffin and then again a slice of cheddar cheese; season with salt and pepper.
Mini Spinach & Sausage Quiches
These crustless small-size quiches are similar to packed-in omelets. Turkey sausage and sauteed spinach keep them fluffy, puffy, and appealing. Tiny and satisfying, these healthy meals for kids are also a perfect healthy snack for cocktail party or starter as well.
4 medium-size turkey sausage, chopped into small pieces
4 cups spinach, coarsely chopped
¼ cup sliced scallions
¼ cup cheese, shredded
3 egg whites
1 cup skim milk
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp freshly ground pepper
Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease muffin tins with cooking spray.
- Heat up a skillet over medium-high heat. Put in sausage and cook until light brown, around 6 to 8 mins. Discharge it to a bowl and let it cool. Add in oil to the pan. Stir in spinach and cook, stirring often, until wilted, for 5 to 7 mins. Move spinach to the bowl with sausage and let it cool. Stir in scallions, cheese, ground pepper, and dash of salt.
- Whisk eggs, egg whites and milk in a bowl. Ssplit egg mixture evenly among the muffin cups. Add in sausage mixture into each cup.
- Bake until the tops are just beginning to light brown, around 20 mins. Let it cool for a moment. Discharge the quiches out and let it cool completely.
Scrambled Eggs with Salmon, Beans, Tomatoes, and Pesto
Eggs as protein high point are base of this savory fiber-rich healthy meal for kids. Enjoy a healthy juice of sweet grape tomatoes. A whirl of pesto adds in a fresh, garlicky kick and vibrant color. Serve atop slices of whole-grain toast and fresh salmon.
4 slices whole-wheat bread, toasted
4 large eggs
8 salmon, thinly sliced
2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
½ cup precooked white beans
¼ cup ready-made pesto
3 tbsp olive oil
Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- In a bowl, beat eggs with 1 tbsp water and salt and pepper.
- Heat up 2 tsp of olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in tomatoes and beans; cook and toss it at times, until warmed through, around 2 mins. Remove it to a plate and wipe the skillet clean. Heat up remaining oil in the skillet. Crack in eggs and cook, stirring, until set but still soft, around 2 mins.
- Top off toast with eggs piled up with tomato mixture and pesto. Serve it.
“Egg in a Hole, Toad in a Hole, Eggs in a Raft, Howdy Doody Eggs” whatever you call this fanciful egg-in-toast breakfast, this healthy meal for kid is a fun and stuffing way to kick-start the morning for kids.
Feed your kids with this most-loved egg dish. Next, add in a sprinkle of secret ingredients, chopped capers with your favourite fresh herbs.
2 large eggs
2 slice whole-grain bread
1 tbsp butter
4 medium tomatoes
4 tsp mayonnaise
Salt & pepper to taste
Finely chopped capers
Finely chopped fresh herbs
- Apply mayonnaise on both sides of 2 bread slices.
- Using medium heart-shaped cutter, cut centers from one slice of bread. Melt butter on medium heat in nonstick skillet. Add in bread to skillet. Cook around 5 mins or until lightly golden brown. Flip over bread to cook the other side.
- Crack in 1 large egg into each heart-shaped hole; sprinkle with pinch of salt and pepper. Turn down heat to medium-low. Cook for around 5 to 7 mins, or until whites are set.
- Shake over with finely chopped capers and herbs. Serve it.