You’re planning to have your kid’s baby teeth removed. Your kid has a couple of loose teeth, and it’s starting to become an inconvenience for them. They’re having a hard time eating and even talking. Often, their gums will get swollen which makes it painful for them to do anything with their mouth. They’ll usually end up sad, not wanting to go out and have fun with friends. As a parent, you don’t want to see situations like this continue. You’ve seen how your child has suffered because of their loose teeth that’s why you’re thinking of having it removed by a dentist.
When you’re looking for a dentist to work with your child, you should be careful. Picking the wrong dentist might traumatize your child and they’ll end up not wanting to see a dentist ever again. To steer away from that direction, you should pick the right dentist. If you’re living in Virginia or anywhere in the world, here are some tips to help you find the right dentist:
- Get referrals: Regardless of where you’re living right now, for sure, there are a handful of dentists in your area. Some might be practicing their profession for years, some might be new. Once you can determine who these dentists are, create a list. This will help you determine who your options are for your kid’s teeth extraction. To make things easier for you, start by asking family and friends about their referrals. Ask if they have worked with a dentist before and how was the experience. Was the dentist accommodating and professional? Or did the dentist let them wait in the clinic despite having an appointment? These things matter to help you decide which dentist to pick.
- Do extensive research on the dentist’s credentials: You have to know your dentist’s credentials before working with them. You should know if a dentist is capable of getting the job done and possesses the necessary skills and experience. Additionally, always make sure that you’ll be working with a dentist who doesn’t have any disciplinary actions and malpractice claims. You can search this information online through various health websites. You don’t want your child to be treated poorly by an inexperienced dentist, right?
- Consider the treatments offered: Not all dentists offer the same set of services. Some dentists might specialize in root canal treatment while some, in orthodontics. You should inquire about these to ensure that your dentist can give you the service that you’re looking for. Generally, it’s always best to work with a dentist who can offer all services needed for your kid’s oral health. You need a dentist who can perform tooth extraction, dental filling, and braces, among others. Dr. Keri Tran from Cherrydale Family Dental is one of many dentists in Virginia that may be able to help.
- Assess the technologies used: With the advent of technology, everything is done easier and faster – and the dental field is no exemption. Many dentists would invest in technologies just to improve their client’s experience with them, and it’s important that you work with one. These technologies might not directly impact the outcome of dental procedures, but these can have an effect how frequent your kids will visit the dentist. And while working with a dentist who has cutting-edge technology is advisable, you should be financially prepared for it. These dentists might charge more than the regular rate.
- Look at before and after pictures: It’s common to see before and after pictures in a dentist’s clinic. This can serve as a proof how they work with patients and how effective their services are. When you see this gallery in a dentist’s clinic, take the time to browse. If you’re content with the results you’re seeing from this dentist, you might have already found the dentist for your kids!
- Think about the cost: How a dentist charges for their services can significantly affect your decision. Of course, you wouldn’t want to work with a dentist who has prices twice as high as other dentists in the area. But on the other side of the coin, you shouldn’t settle immediately with a dentist who’s too cheap. If you do, the quality of services might not meet your expectations. To ensure that you only work with the best, ask for estimates from the dentists you’re eyeing to work with. Compare their price and services.
- Interview the dentist: Talking to a dentist before acquiring any of their services can be very helpful. Since you now have a list of the dentists you can work with, sit down and talk to them. Use this opportunity to discuss everything you want to know about the dentist. Ask about their experiences and qualifications in the field. You can even ask about the recommendations apt for your kid’s situation. If there are things which are still unclear to you either about the dentist or the services offered, ask personally during the interview.
- Determine the location of the clinic: How far or near your dentist’s clinic is should also be considered. If you acquire services from a dentist who’s hours away from where you’re living, it’ll require time just to see them. The distance can also become an issue if there are any dental emergencies. You should look for a dentist whose clinic is convenient for you and your kid to travel to and from.
- Ask about the schedule: When a dentist already has a reputable name in the area, they might be accommodating too many clients – too many that their availability might not be amenable to you or your kid’s schedule. This is something which you should discuss with the dentist. Ask when he’ll schedule to meet your kid. If he’s only available during weekdays early in the morning, this might become an issue when your kid attends school.
Most kids fear going to the dentist. They think once they’re in the dentist’s chair, everything will be painful. But if you entrust your kid to a dentist who is reliable and professional all the time, your kid will never have this notion. Start them young and let them know that working with a dentist isn’t painful at all; it’s actually like having a friend to help them take care of their oral health long term. Use this article as a reference so you’ll end up working the best dentist for you and your entire family’s oral health needs!
About Author – Dr. Keri Tran
Dr. Keri Tran graduated from Texas A & M University and received her dental education from Baylor University. She spent two years in Dallas gaining valuable experience as an associate. Dr. Tran found that she loves working with children as well as adults and wanted a practice to cater to the needs of families. In order to provide the best care to her patients, Dr. Tran attends continuing education courses yearly in areas such as Cosmetic dentistry, Pediatric dentistry, Implantology and, her favorite, Orthodontics (Braces/Invisalign). She dedicates one full day a week just to her orthodontic patients because she loves the joy and satisfaction that these patients get once treatment is complete. And through her studies in healthcare, Dr. Tran also found an affinity for helping people. She is passionate about serving the community by volunteering for various causes, particularly advocating on children’s behalf, such as co-founding the Love 2 Yêu Global Youth Initiative (love2yeu.org). Away from work, Dr. Tran loves spending time with her family and friends and as long as she is outdoors, traveling or exploring something new she is happy! Dr. Tran and her team at Cherrydale Family Dental are committed to serving the Northern Virginia community with the best in cosmetic, general, pediatric & restorative dentistry. We cater to your specific needs, regardless of your situation, and use the latest in dental technology. We provide a holistic approach to dentistry to ensure all our patients have optimal dental health and wellbeing.